Welcome to the weekend, let’s cook! I have a bad back. Sore joints, achy bones, inflammation. Doctor’s have been quick to prescribe different medications that are designed to dull the pain. In a search for things to stop the pain, I ran across this little gem that really seems to help. Now, the caveat is to not go overboard. Intake of excessive amounts of Tumeric can lead to gastrointestinal issues.
Below is the exact recipe that I use, oddly enough found on Epicurious.com. I do eliminate the coconut oil. I don’t see the value in drinking a high calorie saturated fat oil. You choose how you like it best. I only use dried turmeric. Does it fix all of my problems? No, but it is soothing and quite tasty if you drink it when it is warm.
Ingredients and Instructions:
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, preferably coconut milk beverage or almond milk
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 (1-inch) piece turmeric, unpeeled, thinly sliced, or 1/2 teaspoon dried turmeric
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece ginger, unpeeled, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Ground cinnamon (for serving)
- Whisk coconut milk, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, honey, coconut oil, peppercorns, and 1 cup water in a small saucepan; bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer until flavors have melded, about 10 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into mugs and top with a dash of cinnamon.
- Do Ahead
- Golden milk can be made 5 days ahead. Store in an airtight container and chill. Warm before serving.
Keep in mind that you will have to alter this recipe if you want to make more than a mug at a time. I found it easiest to work with 4 cups of almond milk, that way I would have some left over for the next couple of days. Don’t be afraid to experiment and try it in different ways. I put 1/8 of a tsp of nutmeg in on occasion and I use sugar instead of honey.
How do you like your Golden Milk? Let me know in the comments below, or chime in on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram @everydaybeaut11. Find us on Flipboard at Beauty to the Test magazine. Click the subscribe button to be notified every time we publish.