Welcome to the weekend, let’s cook! One of my all-time favorite dishes is Sheperd’s pie. Technically, Chef’s pie. Traditionally, Sheperd’s pie is made with lamb, chef’s pie is usually made with any other meat. But, for the sake of simplicity, we will call this Sheperd’s pie. The ultimate comfort food, I could literally live on this.
- 6 large potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter ( I use Vegan margarine)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese ( I use Dairy free Cheese, you can use any kind of cheese that you like, I used to like using Jalepeno cheese)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 carrots, chopped ( I use frozen vegetable mix- carrots,peas and beans)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- banana pepper juice ( this is totally optional, I just add a wee bit to the potatoes to give them some zing, dill pickle juice will also work)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef ( or ground pork, or turkey, or chicken, pick the meat you like any ground meat will work)
- 1 can of gluten free, dairy free gravy, or use peppercorn gravy or mushroom gravy ( or use a pasta sauce if you dislike gravy)
- Mushrooms cleaned, de-stemmed, and chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash. Add in pepper or dill juice to taste. Mix in butter or margarine, finely chopped onion and 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C.)
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add onion and cook until clear. Add ground beef and cook until well browned. Pour off excess fat, then add the frozen veggies, heat through ( or boil veggies separately and set aside), add the mushrooms and cook until browned.
- Spread the ground beef in an even layer on the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish. Top with the mashed potato mixture and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese. Pour gravy on top. Multiple layers are optional.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
What is your favorite comfort food? Let me know in the comments down below or chime in on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram @everdaybeaut11. Find us on Flipboard at Beauty to the Test Magazine.