Welcome to the weekend, let’s cook! Black beans are an excellent source of protein and taste great. Below is my modified take on Black Bean Cakes. The original recipe is from AllRecipes.com, and the link to that is posted at the bottom of the page.
Lime Sour Cream:
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream( I used dairy free sour cream)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 small fresh jalapeno pepper, minced
- salt to taste
- Bean Cakes:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups grated raw sweet potato(This works with regular potato or yam)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plain dried bread crumbs(Gluten free bread crumbs)
- To prepare lime sour cream, mix the sour cream, lime juice, 1 small minced jalapeno, and salt together in a small bowl. Cover, and refrigerate.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook green onions until softened, about 1 minute. Stir in garlic, 2 diced jalapenos, and cumin; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer contents of skillet to a large bowl. Stir in black beans, and mash with a fork. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix in sweet potatoes, egg, and bread crumbs. Divide into 8 balls, and flatten into patties.
- In the oven, set cooking rack about 4 inches from heat source. Set oven to broil. Lightly grease baking sheet with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Place bean patties on baking sheet, and broil 8 to 10 minutes. Turn cakes over, and broil until crispy, about 3 minutes more. Serve with lime sour cream.