It’s winter. Time for a nice warming recipe. This recipe was originally published by Ree Drummond at the Food Network. I have detailed the changes that I have made to fit it more in line with my dietary restrictions.
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Olive oil, for drizzling
¼ tsp ground thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp butter (I used Olive Oil)
3 stalks celery, finely diced
2 carrots, finely diced
1 onion, finely diced (I reduced the quantity of onion by half)
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
1 pinch turmeric
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups long-grain rice
Minced fresh parsley, for serving
1 pinch of Cayenne pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. Drizzle the chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle with the ground thyme and some salt and pepper. Put the chicken in a roasting pan and roast until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
3. In a pot over medium heat, melt the butter (oil)and saute the celery, carrots, onions and bell peppers for 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with the fresh thyme and turmeric and cook for another 2 minutes. Pour in the chicken broth, add Cayenne pepper, cover, bring to a simmer and simmer 30 minutes.
4. Prepare the rice according to the package instructions; keep warm.
5. Shred or chop the chicken and add it to the pot with the soup. Simmer for another 15 minutes. Stir in the rice and minced parsley and serve.
6. Shred some non dairy cheese on top for garnish
See original recipe below:Read more at http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/chicken-rice-soup/15639/#hT38goCou3mm1ZHK.99