Hi Everyone! Welcome to my series on Face Masks. I will be walking you through a bunch of different products at a multitude of price points. Please feel free to send me feedback or suggestions on products that you would like to see reviewed. As always, I encourage you to share this page with your friends and to follow the page so you are always in the know! I have a linked this product to the SooAE website, so click below to order.
What is Donkey’s Milk?
- Pretty self explanatory. Just like cow’s milk, or goat’s milk. This is milk from a Donkey.
What is the history of Donkey’s Milk?
- Donkey’s Milk is an old ingredient given new life. It is said that Cleopatra would bathe frequently in Donkey’s milk and that it was a source of her amazing beauty. Donkey’s milk had recorded use in Roman times to soothe and calm the skin. There has been a dramatic increase in the cosmetic usage of Donkey’s milk in Asia.
What is so special about Donkey’s Milk?
- It is loaded with phospholipids, ceramides and proteins, it promotes long lasting skin hydration
- It soothes and calms irritated skin
- Donkey’s milk has four times the vitamin C as cow’s milk. It also contains casein, lactose, vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, D, and E
- Donkey’s Milk will cause fewer allergic reactions in people that have milk allergies. In fact Donkey’s milk is actually closer to human milk than cow milk
Downside to Donkey’s Milk?
- Donkey’s have to be milked by hand. This combined with a smaller milk output means that Donkey’s milk is much more expensive than cow’s milk. Meaning products using Donkey’s milk will end up costing more as demand increases
- We are still utilizing animal products for the purpose of looking better
The product comes in a nice little foil package as you can see above. The instructions are to apply generously to freshly cleansed skin. Leave overnight. Wash off in the morning. Seems easy enough. The product as you can see by the photo below, is thick in texture and surprisingly creamy. The smell is quite nice. In this particular product there is easily enough to last 3 or 4 days. The amount on my fingers in the picture below did my whole face and neck.
This product claims to be “Nourishing and Moisturizing” and to “Relieve dryness and fatigue while sleeping.” Infused with 5 plant extracts, this product promises to “absorb quickly and deeply, improving dry and tired looking skin overnight.” Well, I can think of no skin more tired and in need of relief than mine. So, here we go….
It goes on smooth, glides easily on to the skin. It feels heavenly and I am not just saying that because I am a mask junkie! The cream absorbs quickly but, still leaves my skin feeling hydrated and soft.
It’s made with:
Soybean Extract: A restoring and soothing antioxidant
Licorice Root: Anti-inflammatory, with lightening and brightening properties. This component is great for under eye circles, Melasma (sun spots) and other discolorations of the skin
Camellia Seed: Loaded with Vitamins A and E, these would be flowers make a great carrier oil ( no scent yet easily absorbed)
Japanese Yam: Have combined antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties. They are also great with sushi. Yum.
Snow Mushroom: Often cited as potent antioxidants and natural moisturizers which can also help to naturally brighten the skin, lighten age spots and even out the overall skin tone.
Hyluronic Acid: The modern skin miracle. This acid draws and holds water to the skin, giving plumper, refreshed, happier you. For best results apply to damp skin.
Shea Butter: Vitamins and fatty acids combine to nourish and moisturize the skin.
Collagen: Building blocks for connective tissues in the body. Collagen is what keeps us looking and feeling young. There is debate about how effective topical applications of collagen can be versus ingestion. The theory here is that it will provide elasticity to the skin and therefore restore a youthful glow. I’m not sold on it, as there is really no way to have it absorb deeply enough into the skin to make a difference. Try collagen tablets or powders. Bone broth, gelatin products are all ways to get more collagen into your system.
Coconut Oil: Antibacterial and anti fungal moisturizer
Now that you know what is in it, let me tell you how it worked out. I have tried this product every night for a few days. I wake up with soft, plump skin that looks dewy in the morning. Although my wrinkles haven’t magically disappeared I definitely can say that my skin feels good. There is no redness, no breakouts, no clogged pores. I did notice a tingling sensation when I put the product on at night. Please keep in mind, I am allergic to dairy. So, tingling may just be me.
I’ve found the product goes on easy, and does sink in really quickly. There is no tightness, just a glowy finish. The SooAE Donkey Milk Sleeping Mask retails for $3.50. For that price you actually end up with about 5-7 days worth of product. To me, that is a pretty decent value.
Would I buy it again? Maybe. I am not super comfortable with the use of animal products and I will continue to look for other options that deliver the same quality to me without that component. On the other hand, it does work wonders on my skin in terms of softness and gentleness. For now, the jury is still out on this…